Halfblood
SlytherWIN
17 YEARS
130 posts
Now you see me--

Rep: 4 pts [ + | - ]
Alston ByrneSlytherin Beginner
Awards: 10

Alston Bryne was at heart a trickster. He spent far too much time pulling pranks on unsuspecting students this week that he was effectively out of time when it came to actual school work. The Slytherin sixth year conveniently chose to forget about the inevitable exam that was coming up in two days until this moment. While he was never the type to worry too much about his grades, he also did not want to receive red marks for an easy exam. In the end, the boy sucked it up and walked to one of the places he dreaded the most: the library. It was an understatement to say that Alston Bryne was bored. Not only was he bored out of his mind, he was almost willing to eat his own socks if it meant that he'd be able to leave the darn place already. It wasn't that the boy disliked books. On the contrary, he spent most of his childhood reading at his family's bookstore back in Ireland. What he hated was the fact that he had to keep quiet while he was at the library. How did people concentrate when there was no music or sound? It was absurd.

Resting his head against the palm of his hand, Alston listlessly flipped through the next few pages of his Potions textbook. He supposed if he was going to go about this in the right way, he needed to actually memorize the ingredients and the instructions for making the stupid potions that he'd never actually have a use for. While the boy was not studious, some god from somewhere had decided to give him a large enough brain so that he'd be able to memorize most things the first time he saw it. He supposed he should have been more careful with his words lest the god thought he was ungrateful and rescind his gift to Alston. Then he'd be like any normal student, and he'd certainly hate that.

The boy yawned, not bothering to hide the sound by covering his mouth. He placed his index finger on the next set of words in an attempt to focus more. The book was saying something about gillyweed, but his brain was sleepy and probably angry at him for bringing it here in the first place. Maybe he could study tomorrow instead? Technically, there would still be one more day left so he could afford to ditch for today. As he thought that, Alston looked over a table and noticed that there was a Ravenclaw student who was stuck in the same predicament as him: studying. He had half a mind to distract her, but then he'd be distracting himself as well. He forced himself to stare at the words. The next sentence was something related to breathing underwater, but that was about as much as the boy could bear to read. He closed the book shut, shoving it into his pile of unread books that he thought he'd actually read, but ended up reading none.

Not bothering to push his chair in, the boy sauntered over to his next victim with a playful glimmer, which to some of the more diligent students might as well be a murderous glare. He knew exactly how to irritate and get under someone's skin. Grabbing a chair next to the girl's table, he took a seat and set his feet on the table, not caring if the girl might have minded. “I'm bored. Entertain me, nubile maiden.” When he grinned, the girl would be able to see the whites of his teeth.

@Helene Aquila
PM
^
Helene Aquila
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 10:07 AM
Mari
7th Year
Halfblood
Ravenclaw
Seventeen YEARS
86 posts
Why is my reflection someone I don't know?

Rep: 1 pts [ + | - ]
Helene AquilaRavenclaw Beginner
Awards: 6

Dust particles danced under the shafts of light peering rebelliously through the library’s thick glass paned windows, each stirring of the air had them swirling like snow flurries caught in a winter breeze. The room permeated with the smell of ink, feathers and parchment; there was the cloying sensation of dust caught in throats, the crinkle of parchment as pages were turned and the heavy thumping of books set onto tables as more and more students made their way into the library for their own self-study. Sprawled out on the table around the small mounds of books was Tybalt, pawing at an enchanted yarn ball that swerved out of the black cat’s reach each time he pawed at it. His paws made soft thumps against the wooden table and every now and then, Helene would look up and chuckle softly to herself, tucking errant strands of golden colored hair behind her ear.

She’d raise her way to levitate the yarn ball every so often when she was taking breaks to keep Tybalt from going crazy and scratching the wooden table. Eventually the cat lost interest and he settled against her arm, purring softly before drifting into one of his lazy cat naps. He was never far from the young witch, seeming to sense that she needed his close proximity and familiarity and for that, Helene was immensely grateful. Absently her fingers would find Tybalt’s fur while her hand continued to write down notes on the parchment, the sound of quill scratching paper was also comforting and familiar. It was a steady stream of white noise, the breathing and writing of the other students, rustling robes as they shifted for a more comfortable position. The golden feathered raven soaked up the feeling the same way her house’s namesake would soak up the light of the sun against their dark glistening feathers.

So engrossed was she in her study of transfiguration that she didn’t hear when the chair beside her was pulled away from the table and a body settled down beside her. The only warning came from Tybalt’s sudden tensing and his amber eyes glistening open to stare blankly at the boy who had dropped down beside her. But Helene’s hand had been on the book instead of on the cat, and therefore she didn’t have any warning until two shoe clad feet hit the table, knocking some of her books over and making her hand slip, the quill drawing a squiggled line across the rest of the parchment. Startled, the golden haired raven looked up and to the side, her eyes wide in surprise.

A dark haired boy had made himself completely comfortable beside her, giving no care for the damage he had caused or the ruining of perfectly good parchment. It didn’t seem that he cared too much about what she was doing or that she had not been bothering him; but upon closer inspection, Helen groaned inwardly. Alston Byrne. Although she had never met him, she had heard quite a bit of rumors about the dark haired snake showing off his glistening fangs in what she could only construe as a wicked grin. “I’m sorry but I’m studying… “ she replied, reaching over and shoving his feet off the table and off her books, frowning as their covers held small dirt stains on them. “If you want entertainment, I suggest going outside or watching a Quidditch practice.”

Helene’s hand drifted towards Tybalt, her hand stroking along his spine to calm the irritated cat as well as give her a reason not to gather her books and curl around them protectively. She hoped that by dismissing him, he would take the hint and leave her alone.

@Alston Byrne

--------------------
PM
^
Alston Byrne
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 01:11 PM
Jynx
6th
Halfblood
SlytherWIN
17 YEARS
130 posts
Now you see me--

The grin of the possibly reincarnated trickster god reached his eyes as he eyed his prey, who looked like she might explode in anger at any moment. The faint glimmer of amusement in his dark eyes was becoming more and more prominent as he patiently listened to what the girl had to say in response to the nonsense he sprouted out of boredom only moments ago. She said exactly what he wanted to hear, though in all respect, he expected such an answer. The Ravenclaw girl was so absorbed in her assignment that she failed to notice his brilliant entrance until his feet had made contact with her table. She looked like every other bookworm in the library. Alston could almost trick himself into believing that half of the students in the room, the Ravenclaw girl included, had a tragic background. What was it this time? A dead mother or father? He was almost sure the Deveaux heir who was two years below him must had been bullied to the point of being so traumatized that he looked like someone killed his mother every time Alston passed him by in the hallway.

Not looking offended in the slightest at having his shoes unceremoniously shoved off the desk, he slid his chair closer to his poor Ravenclaw victim and slung an arm over her delicate shoulder. He was not an actor by any means; he hated being someone he wasn't. However, he could feign emotions if he wanted to, which was useful when he needed to get out of trouble. There were many times a few crocodile tears stopped his mother from punishing him for pulling a prank on a customer at The Dark Fae, the bookstore ran by his parents. In his most mournful voice, complete with pity in his eyes, furrowed brows, and pursed lips, he said, “I'm sorry you're studying too. You have my most sincere condolences.” Placing a hand over his heart, he merely shook his head at her when he suggested he go outside and leave her alone. That would not simply do to just leave her alone in her peace. “It won't be good for me to wander outside while the sun is still shining so brightly. I've got a rare skin condition that will cause me to burn up in the sun if I'm even exposed to a little bit of it. Why not entertain me instead? I'm suitably handsome and you're...”

The mischievous trickster finally caught sight of her adorable little black cat. From his observations, most of the students chose to keep their pets inside their dormitories. It felt cruel to leave an animal in what was effectively just a bigger cage while the owners themselves were able to go about frolicking in the sun. The thought was distasteful just to think. The sorrowful and most likely mocking expression in his features was replaced with gentle-looking eyes and a soft smile. It was almost as if he had forgotten about the girl's presence altogether, which might have been the case. While the boy was merciless to his fellow humans, he always held a soft-spot for animals. Taking small pieces of oatmeal from his pocket, he quietly got out of his seat. He was less obnoxious and loud in his movements now that he realized there was a feline companion present. “Sorry if I surprised you. I meant no harm,” said the boy to the cat. He learned by himself at a young age always to speak in a pleasant tone while maintaining eye contact at an equal height with the cat in question with the stray cats in the alley behind his parents' bookstore. He held out the bits of oatmeal and offered it to the creature with an open palm. “The uncooked remains of breakfast. Do you want some?”

Still kneeling on the ground, he looked up at the girl. His current features were less exaggerated when he first decided to introduce himself, but there was still a hint of playfulness. She wasn't a cat, so she would not be exempt from his tricks, but his voice was more casual now and less of a trickster's. He could appreciate a fellow animal lover. “Tell me, what's your happiest moment? If you tell me it's studying in this dusty library, I'll laugh.” That and if her answer did not satisfy his boredom, he'd do something else to cure it.

@Helene Aquila
PM
^
Helene Aquila
 Posted: Apr 19 2017, 12:30 PM
Mari
7th Year
Halfblood
Ravenclaw
Seventeen YEARS
86 posts

“ I didn’t know snakes had the capacity to feel much emotion, least of all be able to make the connection enough to offer condolences.” She quipped, ignoring the hand at his heart and turning back towards her parchment where the line had left an ugly mark across the rough – yet smooth paper. Fighting down a sigh, Helene moved onto where the next line would be an continued to write the last bit of her notes before she forgot them by this unnecessary and definitely unwelcome distraction. Her ears were still alert since the Slytherin continued to talk about himself, bringing the conversation around to some made up woe, she was certain. The golden haired raven paused, looked up and raised a questioning brow at him. “Do you sparkle before you burn? Alas, handsome is a matter of perspective.” She could have told him beauty was in the eye of the beholder but she had the inkling that he didn’t much care for what she said, and that the insult would more than likely only fly over his head or go altogether ignored.

Helene’s reaction to being touched was immediate and instinctive, her shoulders tensed and her quill ceased its elegant scrawl along the parchment the moment his fingers touched brushed her shoulder. Hazel eyes drifted to the side in order to study the offending appendage, watching where the digits lay in their relaxed manner with his wrist bent down at an angle in repose. She looked towards the ceiling, praying for the heavens to intervene, or maybe for a book case to fall over and break them apart so that she wouldn’t have to deal with him past the initial words she’d uttered towards him. Yet she wasn’t rude enough to shrug him off, instead setting her quill down and reaching over as if to remove his arm from around her shoulders.

The motion was unnecessary as the snake moved of his own accord having caught sight of Tybalt watching warily but not yet angered by his presence or his antics towards his witch. Now that his attention had shifted Helene’s had as well, she became more absorbed in what Alston was going to do to Tybalt than worried about what he might have said or done to her. Her body shifted, turning to face his as he moved away and started to apologize to the feline. In response to his attentions, Tybalt brushed against her arm as if seeking permission but ultimately moved on his own towards the coaxing of the snake. Helene found it somewhat amusing to find that the cat was falling prey to the snake, but if Alston thought he was going to be easily bought with oatmeal; well he didn’t know just how vicious and fickle the felids could be.

She could have used this distraction as a means of escape but it didn’t feel quite right to up and leave Tybalt to his own devices, just to get some small reprieve. She did however; start stacking her books and pushed them towards the corner of the table, hoping that if she turned away after he was done talking to Tybalt, Alston would finally get the hint and leave. Instead, and despite of his distraction with feeding her cat some leftover oatmeal, he decided to pose a question; catching Helene watching him as he had knelt on the ground to be at eye level with Tybalt who had padded closer to the edge of the table, nibbling on the offered oatmeal. Just a bit of food and you betray me. She mused, no trace of malice or anger directed towards her familiar even in her mind.

The change in him took her by surprise but she hid it well, expecting it to be another one of his antics since his first over the top display and exaggerated condolences hadn’t done anything to break the ice between them. Helene knew that telling him would only prolong his stay, that she should just ignore him and wait for him to get out of her hair. Instead she pulled the mass of wavy locks over a shoulder and began to braid them, looking away from Alston and around the library, her voice low and somewhat distant as she thought about what to tell him.

“It is definitely not studying in the dusty library. If you must know, and if it will get you to keep it down… my happiest moment was the first time one of the dragons escaped and we were called to herd it back to its habitat. Flying with dragons is one of the most dangerous and exhilarating things anyone can do. Not even the fastest broomstick during the most intense of Quidditch games can compare to being at the mercy of something wild and unpredictable, something uncontrollable.” Helene couldn’t begin to describe what it felt like to be up there in the skies, riding the waves of wind dispersed from a dragon’s flapping winds while trying to navigate the world’s natural wind currents.

She did however, expect Alston to turn it around and make fun of her for it; which was why when she turned back to look at him, her eyes were daring him to do just that.

@Alston Byrne

--------------------
PM
^
Alston Byrne
 Posted: Apr 20 2017, 03:59 AM
Jynx
6th
Halfblood
SlytherWIN
17 YEARS
130 posts
Now you see me--

“You're correct in your assessment. Snakes have the emotional capacity the size of a thumbtack. We tend to inject venom into our prey first and then swallow them whole,” deadpanned the boy, once again resting his cheek against the palm of his hand. He looked completely nonchalant in his position, the way his arms were placed ever so casually against his sides. It was as if he was talking about how nice the weather was today. He tended to ignore quips or rather his ego allowed him to brush off any insult on his person without putting much thought into doing so. Six years of living with snakes who judged people solely on their blood gave him more than enough practice in this field. He was a Halfblood after all. He didn't even look offended when she spoke her words. In fact, he almost looked bored, as if he had heard those words many many times before. She was another person who categorized Slytherin as a house of evil wizards and witches. He was just glad his mother was not like that; otherwise, he might have died to her wrath when he sheepishly told her that he had managed to get himself sorted into the infamous house of dark wizards. To the Ravenclaw's defense, most of his ancestors that turned out to be evil or insane were from Slytherin. There was one from Gryffindor, but he supposed that was besides the point.

His eyes finally noticed the scribbles on her parchment as he silently took note of her hard work. Her writing was neater compared to his. Alston tended to fill his parchment with quick scribbles, crossing lines as he saw fit until he finally reached a point where he was happy with the content. He only valued originality; it did not matter if it came in the form of a messy essay. “When I burn in the sun, I sparkle as brightly as the morning star. That's you, by the way,” said Alston. The trickster was gifted with a naturally melodic voice, so it was almost as if he had serenaded the words. For once, he wasn't speaking in his usual flirtatious manner. Instead, his words were laced with subtle barbs that were so cleverly inserted that if the girl did not pay attention, the meaning might have been lost on her.

He noticed when he wrapped his arm around her shoulders that she tensed up and briefly wondered if she was uncomfortable with human contact. Though, the most probable answer was that she didn't want to be touched by him. He was Alston Byrne and he earned a reputation for being a delinquent after six years of pure chaos. The rumors ranged from failing all his classes to sleeping with just about any girl in a skirt. Neither were true, but he didn't care enough to correct baseless rumors. Let people believe as they wished, he thought as he waited patiently for her cat to finish nibbling on the bits of oatmeal in his hand. After Tybalt finished his snack, Alston would try to pat the cat on its head. He wasn't sure if the cat would appreciate being touched, much like his owner, so he would be cautious and pull away if he noticed that the cat was not receptive.

Listening to her answer shocked the sixth year a little. When she turned around, Alston met her eyes with his dark ones and stood from his spot on the floor. He brushed invisible dust off his pants, feeling the mischievous spirit of Loki flee from him. “That's rather impressive. I think the closest I've got to meeting a real dragon was during my mother's bedtime stories.” While he had originally planned to serenade her with love songs until she couldn't bear it anymore, he was no longer feeling up to the task. The way she looked at him and the challenge in her eyes made him hesitate. “Honestly, I'm shocked you answered so truthfully. I was going to make fun of you, but you make it very difficult to do so with your sincerity. Also, don't look at me with those eyes. I'm shy, so you're making me feel flustered.” Truthfully, it just made him uncomfortable to hear a story that sounded so personal. He'd prefer it if she had simply told him a lie, but she hadn't. It left him standing awkwardly with his hands in the pockets of his jeans. “How did you manage to chase after the dragon if it was as fast as you claim?”

Alston was always up for a story.

@Helene Aquila
PM
^
Helene Aquila
 Posted: Apr 24 2017, 11:43 AM
Mari
7th Year
Halfblood
Ravenclaw
Seventeen YEARS
86 posts

Curious. Alston had managed to pique Helene’s curiosity despite his annoying tendencies and demands that she entertain him. She was certain that this dark haired boy believed the world to revolve around him, as if he were the gravitational pull and entire reason for their orbits. Yet he didn’t deny the quip, nor did he become even remotely disturbed or annoyed by her uncreative jab at the Slytherin. Alston seemed to be at ease with the house that was chosen for him and the situation he was in, which was more than the golden feathered Raven could say about herself, but they both seemed a certain amount of content with their houses at least, and neither seemed to disappointment.

Helene’s nose crinkled at being called the morning star, she was familiar with certain religions and deities the Muggles prayed to or honored and morning star was not a compliment in most of them. “Ravens are often seen as creatures of bad omens as well, were we Crows you would call us a murder; but since we are slightly bigger than the average dark feathered avians, we’re an unkindness.” Helene shifted her books again, giving her hands something to do. The girl hadn’t meant to go into such small and random musings, but snakes weren’t the only cold and dark creatures. She suspected that even the regal Gryffindors and tank-like Badgers had their own darkness about them. “Unkindness… I can’t say it doesn’t suit, ravens - when in a flock and agitated - are aggressive and most definitely unkind. I suppose we can be unkind even when alone.”

Subtle was the rising of Helene’s smile, hidden beneath the shift of her lips and turn of her head, “snakes and ravens are often enemies, I wonder if you’re always to be burned by the brilliance of sunlight off my reflective feathers.” Sometimes the raven enjoyed speaking in riddles though she usually had no one else to speak to but Tybalt, who now, treacherous and full of betrayal, found himself drawing closer to Alston’s leg. Helene did not mind that her familiar had taken a liking to the snake, he was his own being and could decide for himself whom to interact with.

Although Alston was not privy to the thoughts often circulating in her head Helene neither thought that he was trying to made advances on her, nor did she believe that he may have slept with all of those people he was rumored to have bedded. No, there was a much simpler reason for her stiffening at his touch, and it was just because she didn’t want to be touched at that particular moment. It didn’t even have anything to do with who he was, but she assumed that explaining such a thing would only result in his shrugging it off, as he seemed to shrug all else away.

When he didn’t immediately make fun of her and instead seemed to complain that she had not given him room to mock, Helene’s lips curved almost imperceptibly in a smile. Of course she was proud of herself for guessing right, venturing that if she answered truthfully and without something silly, that Alston wouldn’t have enough reason to mock her or her origins. She didn’t need someone else mocking her life when they already whispered around her half-blood mother. It was a sore subject for Helene, and though she often wished she could spare her mother from hearing such words; she was not so idealistic to think that just because she willed it so, the world would cater to it.

“Mother was known for weaving fairly impressive stories herself when we were little.” This caused her to actually smile fondly at the memory, life sparking in her usually guarded gaze. “Pater used to boast he was never afraid, but he and Syb… and my sister, would jump and hide away as frightened rabbits would.” she finished, her voice trailing off a little before she moved onto what he had continued to say. Seeming confused, Helene’s brow crinkled and then she shrugged, bending down to pick Tybalt up from the ground and give herself a moment to collect her thoughts and thatch her walls.

“Also, don't look at me with those eyes. I'm shy, so you're making me feel flustered.” Again she blinked, looked completely confused and then laughed. It wasn’t a loud and boisterous sound, they wouldn’t get kicked out of the library for disturbing other students based on her laugh alone, but it was rich and full of the amusement she felt. “I highly doubt I’m making you feel flustered. You’ve no feathers to ruffle quite so easily, my scaly friend.”

Shifting in her seat Helene looked around, lips pressed together in thought, the smile lingering still in the corners of her eyes, the liveliness of her fingers as they dance-skipped along Tybalt’s spine. Storytelling was best done - in Helene’s opinion- in places where sounds could bounce off walls, where her voice could be distorted to fit the story’s needs, in dark places with firelight, or even in the dark of the wood where nature would supply the sound and suspense.

“Simple,” she replied, bringing her hands up in order to mime after her words. “We’re not the only family that works with dragons, there are outposts throughout the Romanian hills, smaller villages. Ours are a cluster of three. We sent out a signal and the other wizards respond.” she paused, thinking of the night that had happened and decided to give him the details he wanted. “While we struggled behind the dragon’s furiously beating winds, pushed back farther and farther not only by the wind gales but also by the rising onslaught of rain, the other wizards raised a barrier and we circled each other like birds of prey, the dragon with its talons and claws extended, fire sizzling the air in warning as it was forced to turn around by the rising barrier, as us with one hand on our broomsticks and the other on our wands. We created a perimeter, cruel as it may sound, when you trap a winged beast there is no place to go but up…. Or down. For us, the dragon decided to go up, but as all things; everything must eventually come down.”

@Alston Byrne

--------------------
PM
^
Alston Byrne
 Posted: Apr 30 2017, 03:47 AM
Jynx
6th
Halfblood
SlytherWIN
17 YEARS
130 posts
Now you see me--

A ghost of a smile made its way to the dark-haired boy’s face. Maybe he had underestimated the girl for it was seldom that people caught onto the little Easter eggs he planted in his sentences. Both his parents were writers and as such, he grew up with a rich literary background and could write better than most people expected.

The way she wrinkled her nose was indicative of her feelings towards his earlier comment about her being the “morning star”. While he was by no means prejudiced towards Muggles--his own father was a Muggle--he wondered if at least one of the girl’s parents was a Muggle. However, his curiosity did not show on his face. Instead he merely grinned at her. “I’m sure you’re an angel, though a little one.”

He kept still as he listened to her musings about ravens. Puzzled at first, he realized she was referring to the “raven” in Ravenclaw. The eagle was the mascot of the house, but her way of thinking was by no means invalid. “Aw, are you trying to make me feel better about your earlier comment about snakes? You’re a cute raven.” He would have patted her head, but he was busy stroking her cat’s back. The dark-haired boy stayed silent for a few seconds. When he spoke again, it was with a steady tone that he spoke. “People can be both kind and unkind. For example, I can be mean to you, but I can be nice to your cat. We’re all living and breathing beings. It’s a mistake to categorize someone based on something as “dead” as their house. Not to say you’re doing that,” said Alston. It was rare that someone got him to say things like these. He generally preferred casual conversations instead of the heavier ones.

Alston smiled at the cat, petting him on his head. “I don’t mind being burned, but perhaps it’ll be you who will feel the pain. Who knows? Maybe we’ll end up being friends?” He was being strangely nostalgic and he wondered if it was because of the cat or the Ravenclaw’s words. She felt like a strange person and suddenly, he wondered if it would have been better to finish his essay. His mother always warned him against befriending the prettier girls. When he asked why, his mother simply responded that they were not in his league. While that stung, it still didn’t answer his question. He supposed pretty girls could be deceptively kind, but he didn’t walk over to the girl because he was interested in her that way. She stood out among the people at the library.

“Weaving impressive stories….that sounds like my mother,” said Alston, who noticed her discomfort when it appeared to her that she might have revealed too much to a stranger. To her defense, Alston was a trickster so he was probably seen as untrustworthy in her eyes. He felt slightly bad, but only slightly so he decided to say something in hopes that she would feel less embarrassed about revealing information. “My mother used to tell me impressive stories for my bedtime. Most of the time, it was about the evil deeds done by my ancestors. One time, she told me about a guy who ended cursing a kingdom because the princess refused to marry him. We supposedly got banished into Ireland for that. Ended with a ‘and that’s why you should not be evil, honey’. Oh, did I tell you? My mother’s part-fae so she never tells a lie.” For the most part, his statement was true. It depended on the Ravenclaw to tell which was real and which was fake.

“Ah, but you’re a pretty girl,” said Alston, though the way he said it was lighthearted and in jest. There was nothing suggestive about his words. He also listened intently as she told her story about how one went about catching a dragon. She had the voice of a storyteller; that was for sure. Alston was impressed too by the content.

“So that’s how you go about catching a dragon,” said Alston, whose voice was taking on a strange tone. He stood up suddenly, eyeing her with a mischievous smirk. People who knew Alston knew that was never a good sign. “Freedom is a special and sometimes, people forget they even have it. But I should show you my appreciation for your story right now.”

Bowing at the Ravenclaw, he smiled lightly at her. “Happy Valentine in advance, dear.”

In a baritone voice, he began to sing.

The sweet caress of twilight
There's magic everywhere
And with all this romantic atmosphere
Disaster's in the air
Can you feel the love tonight?
The peace the evening brings
The world, for once, in perfect harmony
With all its living things

@Helene Aquila
PM
^
Helene Aquila
 Posted: May 8 2017, 01:29 PM
Mari
7th Year
Halfblood
Ravenclaw
Seventeen YEARS
86 posts

Helene’s reaction to being called a “little angel” was immediate, her nose crinkling and her brow furrowing in that way the suggested she was a little less than pleased but not quite offended by it. Perhaps the comment was just a little off-putting and nothing more. She resisted the urge to smile, her lips twitching but she stubbornly kept her mouth turned downwards at their corners though it was proving a little difficult to maintain. “Bully for you.” she replied, neither agreeing not disagreeing with his verdict considering it seemed that they both agreed to some extent. She hadn’t been classifying him as either but wouldn’t correct him if that was what he ultimately thought; she’d just wanted to avoid being the brunt end of his joking - which seemed to be working.

Carefully Helene placed her chin in her palm and leaned forward on the table, hazel eyes drinking in the sight of her cat as she contemplated what he said about her feeling the pain. He had no idea how vivid she felt pain but she was a little suspicious of him regardless of what he was getting at, and it had sounded like a little bit of a threat. “I think hinting at, or threatening to cause pain would be more effective on someone unfamiliar with it.” A small smile that showed all of her teeth, he had effectively ruffled her feathers in a manner Helene did not appreciate. She supposed that like many she had the potential to be cruel or to threaten Alston even if she had no leverage, all she needed to do was bluff her way effective through it, promise him some sort of pain in return and ensure that he was on his merry way. That however, was not how Helene Aquila operated, she did not enjoy playing mind games or smoke and mirrors. Deception seemed to only ever breed more deception and eventually sewed distrust, yet if Alston wanted to remain a trickster, then he could do so. She just wasn’t going to be a part of it.

“I don’t know if I could ever be friends with a fae half-ling, they’re too deceptive for my liking,” she turned away from him and opened up her books again, picking up her quill; ready to go back to studying after the brief break Alston had provided. She wouldn’t command Tybalt to take his leave either, or tell Alston to go away if he wanted to continue petting the cat; but her mood had turned south for the moment; all attempts at getting him to stop joking for a short while having failed, Helene wasn’t sure what to do about the boy now. Looking askance and over her braid, Helene watched and listened to Alston, still not being outright rude and ignoring him as he went on to tell about his mother and her stories. “I think our mothers might have a better chance at being friends than us.” She could picture the two women, sitting together telling stories not just about their children; but about the old days.

Her lips pulled into a smile at his compliment and at the deduction he had come to in regards to catching dragons. “Some, others you can catch with song. Very few you have to win over with your personality… I’m not sure how you’d fare with that particular breed.” A twinkle in her eyes shone through, a brief flicker of her hidden mischief shining through before he stood up and Helene became wary of him again. She was about to ask what he was doing when he burst into song. The Eagle’s ears tinged with pink and color raced up her throat to her cheeks, dispersing over her entire face in a flush as she recognized the words from The Lion King.

“Alston! Stop.” she hissed out of the side of her book, contemplating throwing something at him. When it was clear he was going to continue ignoring her, Helene sprang to her feet and clamped a hand over his mouth to muffle his words. “Would you please… stop.” It wasn’t even Valentine’s Day for crying out loud!

@Alston Byrne

--------------------
PM
^
Alston Byrne
 Posted: May 18 2017, 03:59 AM
Jynx
6th
Halfblood
SlytherWIN
17 YEARS
130 posts
Now you see me--

Alston knew the lyrics to Can you feel the love tonight? by heart. When he was a child, his father would spend the weekday afternoons--when customers were sparse--watching Disney movies in the family bookstore with his son. There was a small television at the corner of the bookstore, between the Fantasy and World History section. Most of the customers walked passed it without ever noticing. The World History section was one of the least popular section and when Alston was eight, his father contemplated on replacing it with something more popular instead.

The television, however, stayed and would probably be there until the end of time. It was an old television with exactly four dead pixels near the upper left corner of the screen. Alston complained about it once when he was unable to see Simba’s entire face (due to the four dead pixels). His father merely mused that the money could be used for other and more useful things. Alston was surprised. The two rarely talked during movies, so Alston had forgotten his father was watching too. That was the last time the boy complained about the old television, considering he knew how tight money was during those days. His father worked as a freelancer writer. In the beginning, finding someone to publish his novels had been difficult. Most of the income came from his mother, who worked as a writer for a witches’ gossip magazine. The bookstore hadn’t been doing so well.

He figured the song was a good one to jumpstart his friendship with Helene. After all, what better than sharing a wonderful childhood memory? His smile widened for a fraction as a faint red blush crept onto Helene’s face. It was what he had intended to have happen. The girl needed to loosen up with the amount of studying she was doing though he wasn’t sure if his method was the best way. Well, it was too late to think about the consequences now! Besides, when did Alston ever have to think about the consequences? He was much too eager when he sung the next few lines of the song, even making sure to make eye-contact with the other students in the library. A few of the girls giggled. Some, like Helene, glared at him for disturbing their study time.

“Hey! You can’t do that. That’s cheating,” said Alston when Helene muffled his beautiful voice. Considering she covered his mouth with her hand, the words that came out were more of a “ey, an’t do that. heating!” Alston was doing her a favor by singing the song from Lion King to her. Thinking back on it, maybe there was a reason why his father advised him not to sing too loudly at a library. He flailed around awkwardly in his attempt to break free from Helene. It was more acting than anything. Alston was afraid an actual attempt to free himself would push the girl off to the side too roughly. He was after all, really strong and powerful. Helene would likely fly like a whimsy piece of paper under his godly strength. Besides, he was sure he wouldn’t actually have to do anything. Helene would soon notice how close she had gotten to him when she decided to stop his magnificent solo by rudely muffling his voice. He hoped she washed her hands. Given the annoyance she displayed when he slung an arm around her shoulder earlier, he was sure the girl would dart away. Knowing that was enough for the all too cocky smile to show up on his face. No, it wasn’t a smile, but a smirk. Alston smirked at Helene as he waited patiently for her to step back.

That was when he realized she was covering his lips with her hand so she wouldn’t be able to see the smirk.

Well, bummer.

@Helene Aquila
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Infinity Rising Wolf Out jcink forum Last Resort Shadowplay Lochland Grove OOTA  photo hr_banneri2014_zpsclfhj2jt.png War Is Brewing Kousei, an island paradise for the natural and supernatural awaits Code 8
The Beginning Sunset To Sunrise Avalon a Panfandom RP Storybrooke

Welcome to WR! We are an alternate universe HP roleplay set in the present day Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The current term is Spring 2017! Please register with a FIRST AND LAST NAME properly capitalised.